Thursday, February 8, 2018

What Does This Windmill, Rolling Cart, and Olive Bucket Have In Common?


Did you guess what the windmill, rolling cart, and olive bucket have in common? 

They are all old, with obvious signs of wear. 

Are you drawn to timeworn treasures like I am? If you are, you probably agree that there's something comforting about these one-of-a-kind, imperfect finds from the past. They've got character and soul, and inspire creative backdrops for living. Use them as intended, or repurpose them in an unexpected way. Make them pop against more modern finishes, or blend them with other vintage decor. 



This windmill came to the Pacific Northwest from a Missouri farm. It's a beautiful rural reminder of simpler times. I came across it on OfferUp. When the owner messaged me that yes, it was available and I could come purchase it, I wasted no time. (That's key in buying salvaged pieces! If something speaks to you, it will probably speak to someone else as well.) The price was fair, and the condition was just what I was looking for. There are many decorative (replica) windmills - which are also fun - but it is special to me to have the real thing.


You may remember this antique French olive bucket my husband gave me for our anniversary a few years ago. I've come across others but am partial to this one for its large size, aged patina, and even the dents and bends I imagine came from lots of use in an olive farm in southern France...


And this humble rolling cart with peeling paint reminds me of a little butcher block island. I spotted it several months ago at the antique shop where we have a booth. It was the shop owner's. I thought it had sold, then spotted it by the counter. I asked the owner if she was interested in selling it, and she was. The day I brought it home, we were celebrating our son's 12th birthday with a party - it made the perfect rustic cake stand. A salted caramel ice cream cake for him... and a chippy rolling cart for his mom. ;)


What are some of your favorite vintage finds? 
Is there something that you've repurposed in a creative way? I'd love to hear!

Xo


2 comments:

  1. I have been looking & looking for an antique child's chair with a rounded back & spindles. I finally found a beautiful one on E-bay & it arrived today!! I feel so lucky & happy to have it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy for you! It sounds adorable and like you held out until you found just what you had in mind. Enjoy!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.